When there are too many to just eat, even by the handful, and they're so perfectly ripe they won't keep more than two days. I'm sure a normal, rational person would freeze some for later in the year, but, honestly I just thought of that, and when drunk on ripe fresh strawberries it's hard to plan ahead.
So I've been trying to eat up these perfect strawberries in as many ways I can.
Here's another version of the salad I posted last year, now with pictures!
Strawberry Balsamic Salad:
(serves 2 as dinner with a side)
- 12 medium strawberries
- 1/2 red spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5 tbsp EVOO
- .5 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- capers to taste (if your taste is against capers leave 'em out, I used 2 tbsp)
- salt & pepper
- field greens (or baby spinach, or bib lettuce, or red leaf, or...)
- macerate 1/2 the strawberries with a pinch salt and the balsamic vinegars
- stir in oil, onion and capers
- fold in greens
- salt & pepper to taste
- slice remaining strawberries on top
For dinner we ate the salad with green garlic cheese bread, recipe to follow.
the kind of strawberries that make you sing this