Yogurt cake is deceptively simple for it's easiness to fantastic taste ratio. It is great weekday cake, light dessert for casual company or easy Monday treat for coworkers.
Yogurt Cake, adapted from smitten kitchen
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/3 minus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (trust me)
- 1 cup white sugar
- juice and zest of 1/2 large very ripe orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9-inch cake pan
- in mixing bowl combine yogurt, oil, sugar, juice, zest and vanilla
- add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated
- sift all dry ingredients into moist, gently stirring until just combined
- pour batter into cake pan and bake 35-45 minutes, until toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- let cake cool, then gently remove to wire rack to finish cooling
- slice, serve, enjoy
You can make a far richer dessert by using full-fat yogurt (I'm picturing maple brown-cow.)
You can add in fruit to the mix (blueberries anyone?)
This recipe is far more template than law; you can us any flavor yogurts, any fruit juices, what ever.